This colored pencil middle or high school art lesson is great for beginners, but it also includes a more advanced modification and photo references for more advanced artists. This versatile art lesson works really well for combined-level art classes as there are two related projects included.
Beginners draw very simple single gems and practice layering colored pencils slowly and advanced students draw a more complex still life of multiple gemstones on either black, toned, or white paper. Students learn color theory and how to layer colored pencils to build beautiful rich dimensions of tone.
Lesson Sequence for Introduction to Art Classes and Beginners
Students begin by practicing creating tints and tones with the value scale exercise. Next, they use single crystal references and draw just one simple shape at a time. The slideshow and video demonstrations explain the color theory and show step-by-step how to complete the project.
For Advanced Artists or as a Follow-Up Lesson to the Single Crystal
The multiple crystals still life can be done by your more advanced art classes or as a follow-up to the single crystal lesson. In this drawing project, students begin with a practice worksheet to help map out the color combinations and tints, and shades in their reference images. They then complete a final drawing from the reference they chose.
This download includes:
- Colored Pencil Google Slideshow.
- Five video demonstrations
- Zen Doodle Google Slideshow
- 2 COLOR PDF color theory Handouts.
- 2 Sample Zen Doodle Handouts
- 2 Practice worksheets
- 4 Pages of COLOR PDF reference images of gemstones with links to the Google Slides Presentation. Students can click or scan the QR code to see the presentation quickly and easily.
- 6 COLOR PDF reference images of crystal still live with value scale worksheet and a link to video instructions.
- Teacher Instructions
This lesson is also included in the following bundles. Bundles are a great way to get a lot of resources at a discounted price.
- Full Year High School Art Project Curriculum Bundle
- Colored Pencil Art Lesson Bundle – High School Visual Art Projects
- Colored Pencil: Beginner – Advanced Art Project Bundle for High School Art
Need an Easy to Follow Art Sub Plan?
The included worksheets work great as sub plans, and early finisher assignments, for students on home instruction or in ISS. They are easy to follow with the linked videos and for substitute teachers or self-directed learning when the art teacher is unavailable.
All of my lessons can be shared with your students through Google Classroom or any digital platform and are formatted to work for distance learning or in the classroom. They are designed to save you time and help your students access the tutorials, presentations, videos, or worksheets as easily as possible. You can find more ready-to-go, easy-to-follow, time-saving art lessons in my RESOURCE SHOP.
Having Trouble with a File?
Visit the FAQ and Support Page to find answers to your questions.
Be the first to know about discounts, freebies, and new resources!